In considering the extinction of the dinosaurs and related reptilian fauna, I found it interesting that the volcanic eruptions identified as the Deccan Traps marking the Indian peninsula are close to the antipode of the Chicxulub impact—the impact that is accused of initiating a cataclysmic cascade culminating in this extinction event, dubbed the K-T Extinction. Since the Deccan Traps and the Chicxulub crater are dated to approximately the same time period, I often wondered if the Deccan volcanic eruptions were the result of antipodal volcanism, that is, the result of the shock waves of the Chicxulub impact traveling though the earth's mantle to the other side of the world.
Recently, this hunch has found more scientific support, namely that the Chicxulub impact greatly accelerated the Deccan eruptions already in progress.
- Double trouble: asteroid, volcanoes implicated in dinosaur doom http://news.yahoo.com/double-trouble-asteroid-volcanoes-implicated-dinosaur-doom-233850490.html
- Giant asteroid may have triggered deadly volcano eruptions https://www.sciencenews.org/article/giant-asteroid-may-have-triggered-deadly-volcano-eruptions
- Asteroid, Volcanoes Double Whammy Doomed Dinosaurs http://news.discovery.com/animals/dinosaurs/asteroid-volcanoes-double-whammy-doomed-dinosaurs-151002.htm "The impact of the asteroid changed the underground plumbing in the volcanoes, making some magma chambers larger so they spouted more lava when they erupted."
- As well as the relationship between the antipodes on a Cretaceous globe here: Princeton University - Impact study: Princeton model shows fallout of a giant meteorite strike http://www.princeton.edu/main/news/archive/S31/90/32S94/
- The Earth that Adam Knew? http://jimspace3000.blogspot.com/2012/01/earth-that-adam-knew-what-did-earth.html
- On Predatory Dinosaurs http://jimspace3000.blogspot.com/2013/09/on-predatory-dinosaurs-faunal-predation.html
- "Dinosaur Extinction Challenges Evolutionary Paradigm" By Dr. Hugh Ross