Tuesday, January 07, 2020

Psalms of Despair and Rejoicing


One feature of the Psalms that is nothing short of amazing are examples of people in the depths of spiritual despair, even feeling betrayed by God. These same people then plead with God and take steps to recover their trust in Him. Imagine that, in an era where divinely-inspired prophets walked the earth, people still felt like how we may feel sometimes. What follows are examples I have in mind, presented in parallel with the New World Translation and the NET Bible.

The first example bristles with terrified panic:

NWT
NET Bible
Psalm 74:9-11
There are no signs for us to see; There is no longer any prophet, And no one among us knows how long this will last.
How long, O God, will the adversary keep taunting? Will the enemy treat your name with disrespect forever?
Why do you hold back your hand, your right hand? Draw it out of your bosom and put an end to them!

Psalm 77:10
Must I keep saying: “This is what distresses me: The Most High has changed his position toward us”?

Psalm 143:3, 4
… like those long dead.
My spirit is failing; My heart is numb within me.

Psalm 143:7
Do answer me quickly, O Jehovah; My strength has come to an end. Do not hide your face from me, Or I will be like those going down into the pit.
Psalm 74:9-11
We do not see any signs of God’s presence; there are no longer any prophets, and we have no one to tell us how long this will last.
How long, O God, will the adversary hurl insults? Will the enemy blaspheme your name forever?
Why do you remain inactive? Intervene and destroy him!

Psalm 77:10
Then I said, “I am sickened by the thought that the Most High might become inactive.”

Psalm 143:3, 4
… like those who have been dead for ages.
My strength leaves me; I am absolutely shocked.

Psalm 143:7
Answer me quickly, [Jehovah]. My strength is fading. Do not reject me, or I will join those descending into the grave.

(All exclamation points and italics have been added for emphasis.)

This repeated concern of being dead is made all the more pressing in Psalm 115:17: “The dead do not praise Jah; Nor do any who go down into the silence of death.” One does not actually have to be dead however—the feeling of being like dead is enough.

But these psalmists do not leave themselves in the darkness of despair.

For instance, the psalmist at Psalm 74:12 reminds himself that “God is my King from long ago, The one performing acts of salvation on the earth,” and then contemplated His saving act of the Exodus including His care of them in the Wilderness. (Psalm 74:13-15) His attention then turned to His power over creation.—Psalm 74:16-17.

In the same vein, the psalmist at Psalm 77:11-12 declared: “I will remember the works of Jah; I will remember your marvelous deeds of long ago.  And I will meditate on all your activity And ponder over your dealings.” He then contemplated the Exodus event as well in epic detail, saying “ With your power you have rescued your people … You led your people just like a flock.”—Psalm 77:14-20.

The psalmist at Psalm 143:5 then made himself contemplate God’s creative acts: “I meditate on all your activity; I eagerly ponder over the work of your hands.” He then petitions: “Teach me to do what pleases you, for you are my God. May your kind presence lead me into a level land.” (Psalm 143:12 NET Bible) The NET Bible footnote for “level land” says: “A level land (where one can walk free of obstacles) here symbolizes divine blessing and protection.”

Thus, these psalmists help us appreciate that they were real people, just as we are, susceptible to feeling discouraged and even falling into hopeless despair. But they also provide an example of spiritual recovery, of meditating on Jehovah’s saving acts and works of creation. One creative act to meditate on is seen in Genesis 2:19, where it reveals that “Jehovah God had been forming from the ground every wild animal of the field and every flying creature of the heavens, and he began bringing them to the man to see what he would call each one.” The Reference Bible NWT has a footnote for “forming” which says that “In point of time it was still the sixth creative day. The verb ‘form’ in the imperfect here denotes continued, progressive action.” So far from contradicting the order of creation in Genesis 1, it is pointing out that God was creating animals and birds with us in mind—ones that we personally would take exquisite delight in. Jehovah also created food we would take exquisite delight in, as expressed in Psalm 104:14-15: “He is making grass grow for the cattle and vegetation for mankind’s use, to grow food from the land and wine that makes man’s heart rejoice, oil that makes the face shine, and bread that sustains the heart of mortal man.” Therefore, only by concentrating on what He has done for us, in particular the ransom sacrifice of Jesus, and by focusing on his creative works for our personal benefit can we take steps to recover from any spiritual meltdown we may experience.


Related blog entry:

Labels: